How To Cure Indigestion In Children
Indigestion in children is one of the most frequent digestive problems that you can find, especially if your child is a glutton and loves to try everything. Normally, it is because your little one has eaten more food than he should, so it is important to pay attention and not leave anything within reach. Besides, indigestion or indigestion can also occur in babies, where in most cases the mother gives more milk than necessary. If you think your little one is stuffy and you don’t know what to do to ease his pain, we recommend that you continue reading this KidsRush.com article to learn How to cure indigestion in children.
Symptoms of indigestion in children
When a child suffers from indigestion or indigestion, it is most often because they have eaten too quickly or too much, it may even be because they have eaten foods that they were not used to yet, which their stomach has not been able to assimilate. well and heavy digestion occurs.
In the case of infants, the cause is usually that they have ingested too much milk, which causes them to reflux. Keep in mind that babies have a sucking reflex, which means that they not only drink from the bottle out of hunger but also to calm down and relax. You should not be obsessed if your baby does not ingest the indicated amount of milk, since if you press it, this problem will surely appear. Consult with the pediatrician and he will advise you what to do.
Different symptoms can occur in a child, the most common are:
- The stomach ache always tends to appear in the face of fullness, it is possible that the child complains or if it is a baby he will not stop crying and will reject the milk.
- Nausea can lead to vomiting.
- Diarrhea or hard stools with mucus.
- Refusal of food.
We can also distinguish between two types of indigestions: dry indigestion and wet indigestion. If the child suffers a dry feeling, the main symptoms will be:
- Absence of diarrhea.
- White tongue.
- Belching and foul-smelling breath.
- Hard, swollen stomach that produces hollow sound on percussion.
- and difficulty in defecating.
If, on the other hand, the little one suffers from wet filling, the symptoms will be similar to those described above except that, in this case, abundant will occur, which is dangerous because the child could become dehydrated, so it will be very important to supply water in little quantity but frequently. Before any of these symptoms, you should go to the pediatrician to examine your little one.
Medical treatment for indigestion in children
When a child suffers from indigestion, you won’t be able to do much more than wait for the problem to stop. You will be able to alleviate its symptoms, but no treatment will eliminate indigestion in a moment. When this happens, the discomfort is usually relieved within a few hours, at most at 12 hours.
Studies affirm that the primary purpose of treating indigestion is to expel the substance or element that is obstructing the digestive tract. Therefore, the therapy consists of stimulating the intestinal transit so that it evacuates if it is in the intestines, or else, end up vomiting, something that in this situation will relieve you.
The best thing when you notice that your little one has suffered a glut is not to eat anything, but you always have to offer him water, especially if he has vomiting or diarrhea so that he does not become dehydrated. Do not force him to eat if he does not want to, he will ask you as he feels better, it will be then that you will have to offer him food in small quantities and that is light.
You can alleviate the stomach pain of the child by performing oil massages on the belly always in a clockwise direction, or applying compresses or hot cloths in the area, always controlling the temperature so as not to burn the child.
Do not hesitate to go to a pediatrician, especially if the child is less than one year old, as the specialist will always give you the appropriate treatment for your baby.
How to cure indigestion in children: tips and home remedies
There are a series of tips and home remedies to alleviate the discomfort of indigestion in children :
- It is important that the child rests and is always at a suitable temperature, calm and comfortable. It is not bad that he moves a little, in fact, it is good that he walks at a leisurely pace because this favors the movement of the digestive system, but you must avoid exercising and running.
- If later he begins to feel better and wants to eat, you can prepare a light soup or a chicken broth, because thanks to its hot spot it will relieve discomfort and relax the intestinal muscles and, also, it will hydrate.
- One of the best home remedies against indigestion is the infusion of chamomile, you can give it to the child as long as it is more than two years old and the pediatrician does not contraindicate it.
- You can give him a hot bath and then lay him down on the bed so that he is relaxed.
- It performs massages on your abdomen, to relax the muscles of the digestive system and so that the food can be digested as well as possible.
If you want to prevent this problem from happening, do not leave food within the reach of children, and do not allow them to eat a large amount of food at one time. Try not to eat too many sweet foods or carbonated drinks and try to eat slowly, chewing everything well.
Now that you know how you can alleviate the symptoms of indigestion in children, do not hesitate to follow all the advice described so that your little one leads a life as healthy as possible.
Originally published at https://kidsrush.com on March 10, 2021.